Saturday, February 14, 2009

Big Day in Beijing

What a day!

It started with a bang...literally.

It looked something like this in our room at 6 am:








The staff at our hotel were very friendly, and reset the circuit breaker promptly!

After we got that worked out, it was off for a quick breakfast in the hotel restaurant and off to visit the sites in Beijing. Our guide for Beijing, Grace took us first to Tianamen Square and the Forbidden City:



The Forbidden City has been the center of Chinese Government for hundreds of years and was truly an amazing site. Following about 3 hours there, we stopped for lunch and headed for the Great Wall. Without a doubt, the Wall was one of the most incredible things I've ever seen. Aaron loved it and kept pushing our group to go on to the next tower, and the next.


Becci, Heidi and Melissa from our Travel Group:


Finally, it was back to the Hotel and out for dinner with the group at a Thai restaurant. The food was great, but one of us didn't make it through dinner:
















Aaron fell asleep at the table during dinner. He was just awesome today. So, now we're headed to bed, too. Tomorrow (sunday) is the big day. We have a 90 minute car ride at about 7:30am to go to the Lang Fang orphanage, and we'll meet Aubrey Chen by late morning. We just can't wait.

We'll post again as soon as we get settled into the next hotel.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just AMAZING!!! We are so thrilled you can blog and show pictures. Imagining you there is so... well, words cannot say, and tears come to our eyes! We are SO happy for you!
Love and many prayers,
Sharon & Dale

Unknown said...

I'm so happy for you all!! I can just feel your excitement!! My thoughts will be with you tomorrow as you meet your daughter. Tammy

Anonymous said...

I am so excited too!!!!! Wow, I just can't imagine it! Well, I guess I can.....you know like the day before you meet your baby....it's surreal and amazing, and I can't wait to see pictures :)! Emily

Anonymous said...

Hey guys! We had so much fun getting to know you in Beijing! We hope to keep in touch. You should have Aubrey by now, I hope it all going wonderful! What a lucky little girl. I hope the train and car ride all went smooth. We are sitting in our room waiting for Tai. they are bringing him to us ANY MINUTE! oops just got the call........ Heidi and Jason

DJ's Family said...

We are so anxious to check out your blog each day! Looks like you are having a great start to the experience of a lifetime! We are so happy for you! Can't wait to see your next post after the big day! Joel, Lee Evan Lexi and DJ

Anonymous said...

Well, it's good to know you all got there safe even though it sounded like a pretty hectic day. It sounds like you're keeping busy and that's seriously awesome that you got to see The Great Wall! I can't wait 'til you guys get back so we can see all the pictures that I'm sure you're taking and of course to see your daughter!! :) :)

Welp, I hope you enjoy the rest of the trip and I'll be coming back here to check for updates! And get lots o' rest so you guys don't get too tuckered out! Also, tell Becci and Aaron I say hello! (Although, I'm not sure he really knows who I am, haha.)

Take care,
Katie

P.S. I noticed that you said you went to a Thai restaurant.. Well, guess what! It just so happens that David loves Thai! You should have brought him with you! Hahaha. Sorry, I just had to throw that in there. :)

Anonymous said...

Aubrey is a lucky little girl. Her big brother is such a trooper. She has a mom who can make her giggle during what must be a very overwhelming experience for her. And a Dad whose hand she already reaches for to hold. I love the pictures. What a smart and beautiful little girl. I'm sure you've all fallen completely in love. I'm very happy for all of you. Eva